Heritage Services – City of KingstonOrganization Type: Arts, Culture & Heritage
Address: 216 Ontario Street, Kingston, Ontario
Contact: City Hall Tours
City Hall Tour Guides welcome visitors from around the world and guide them through our beautiful Kingston City Hall National Historic Site weaving stories and engaging visitors. Tour Guides conduct 30-45 minute tours, interpreting the history of the City of Kingston in an engaging and educational manner. Good oral communication skills and general knowledge of / interest in Kingston & Canadian history is encouraged. Occasionally guides may be asked to track visitor and tour statistics. Fluency in a second language other than English is an asset but not required.
Note: Tour Guides must be able to stand for long periods of time and climb stairs. An elevator is available but in case of emergency or mechanical issues stairs will have to be used.
City Hall Tour Ambassadors warmly welcome visitors to City Hall, orient them to the site and the services offered, and track visitor and tour statistics. Ambassadors are also called upon to organize visitors into groups and coordinate drop-in tour times with the Tour Guides. Ambassadors are encouraged to have a general knowledge of the history of the City of Kingston and City Hall. Fluency in a second language other than English is an asset but not a requirement.
Note: This position allows for you to be seated if needed.
- Must complete a successful CPIC (reimbursement available)
- Must attend one training session with City Curator
- Understanding of the emergency and Health & Safety procedures of City Hall (training provided)
- Ability to present yourself in a friendly and professional manner
- Ability to think on your feet and adapt to changes in schedule
- Available at least 2 shifts per month from mid-May to mid-October
- Museum Orientation Pass – free or discounted access to certain cultural sites in Kingston
- Mid-Summer Volunteer BBQ
- Fall Volunteer Appreciation Dinner
Fill out the application as an expression of your interest in the City’s Tour Guide Program.